This isn’t my recipe but they are my pictures! It was good and worth making again hence the reason I’m saving it. Thanks so much to www.fatfreevegan.com for endless inspiration along my journey.
The original recipe comes from here and it’s an awesome place to get recipes!!
Caribbean Beans and Quinoa
- 1 large green, yellow, or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed several times
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (about 3 cups) cooked kidney beans, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup stuffed Spanish olives
- 1/8 – 1/2 cup capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- lime, optional
- Heat a large, non-stick pot over medium-high heat . Sauté the peppers, onions, and garlic just until softened. Add the quinoa and toast it for about 4 minutes, stirring constantly, just to dry it out a little. Add the remaining ingredients, turn the heat to low, cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir well before serving. Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice at the table.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Makes 8 servings. Each serving, using minimum amounts of olives and capers, contains 221 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (11% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 441mg Sodium; 7g Fiber.