Here’s another to add to your collection of Nutritarian Recipes!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Nutritarian Recipe - Tangy Lentil & Chickpea Soup
Author: Trainer Isa
Recipe type: Soup
Originally featured in O magazine in 2009 this recipe is from Catherine S. Katz, PhD, coauthor of Dr. David Katz’s Flavor-Full Diet.
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large yellow potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. mild curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup dried and rinsed lentils (preferably red)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, well-rinsed and drained
- 1 pkg frozen chopped spinach,thawed (I added this to add some greens)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Water sauté celery, onions and potato, along with curry powder, turmeric and cinnamon for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of water and the lentils, chickpeas and spinach. Bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour (check that there is enough liquid; add 1 extra cup of water if necessary).
- Just before serving, add lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and cilantro, if using.