Seriously…do you want something that is rancid? How good can an Omega 3 supplement be for you if it’s rancid or even contaminated with toxins or polutants? Before I go there, I’m sure you’ve heard why it’s important to get in your Omega 3s. You need omega 3 for everyday health however the most important are DHA and EPA. The standard American diet is low in Omega 3s.
Low levels have been associated with higher risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. In addition they are beneficial for brain development, preventing depression, autoimmune illnesses and neurological health later in life too! BUT you can’t just start guzzling flax oil! That alone has been linked to prostate cancer and too much of a good thing isn’t always a good idea when too much omega 3s can lead to hemorragic stroke.
Sure, you may eat flax seeds or some walnuts however, the omega 3 ALA in those foods isn’t always converted properly in some people and vegans and vegetarians can also be low in DHA. Many people think fish is a great source of DHA and EPA but that isn’t always the case. So why do I say some sources stink?
- Fish oil in capsules can be rancid…do you know how long they’ve been on the shelf under no refrigeration?
- Some fish oils have high amounts of dioxin and PCBs
- Fish and fish oil contain mercury (Multiple studies show
that most of the body’s mercury build-up is from the consumption
of fish–not dental fillings)
Protect yourself with a clean source of DHA and EPA that isn’t contaminated and if you’re vegan or vegetarian there are vegan options such as Dr. Fuhrman’s DHA+EPA. Here’s some great information on this new source:
Dr. Fuhrman’s DHA+EPA Purity is a vegan source of healthful long-chain omega-3 fatty acids. DHA and EPA have many crucial functions and health benefits; for example they are crucial for the health of the brain, eyes, and cardiovascular system, from fetal development all the way into old age.
Why new DHA+EPA instead of DHA only?
- DHA is the most important omega-3 fatty acid to supplement, because the body cannot convert as much ALA (from walnuts, flax, hemp, chia, and greens) to DHA as it can to EPA, so the DHA component here is higher than EPA, and in the proper ratio.
- EPA has vital functions in the body (for example, regulating the inflammatory response) with further benefits to the brain, particularly elevating one’s mood. The conversion from ALA varies between individuals, so adding a small amount of EPA in a supplement helps to ensure that we are getting adequate amounts.
- Most vegans have sub-optimal levels of DHA and EPA, but new algae-derived vegan EPA is lab-grown so one needn’t strip the oceans of wildlife to obtain it and we can assure nutritional adequacy in everyone.
- Dr.Fuhrman’s DHA+EPA Purity is manufactured, delivered and stored under strict conditions, packed in dark glass and refrigerated during storage to assure freshness. There is no fresher product, without rancidity.
Be informed and take charge or your health and check out the awesome coupon codes I posted yesterday for special deals from Dr. Fuhrman’s site.
Join me on facebook too! I’ve got a goal to reach 1000 likes in the next few months…tell your friends!